Hey there, this is from the injured girl. Thanks to DA for setting all of this up. WOW, things can change quickly. The pains and frustrations of this situation have provided many opportunities for blessing, and the Lord has made use of every opportunity.
Everyone who needed to be there to get me out was there. Two very experienced fire captains there to splint my leg, give care, and provide needed leadership. There were plenty of able bodied men to go back to the village for supplies and carry me along the path.
The biggest blessing for me that day was the helicopter landing. I was so relieved when it began landing. I was told, “Helicopters won’t land down here; it is too dangerous.” The thought of being carried out at Moody Falls was too much for me. However, close canyon walls provide dangerous conditions and the wind gusts treacherous. It didn’t help that the winds were strong, and had been for days, increasing the danger. I asked my friends to pray, and they already were, that the winds would calm enough for the helo to land.
The pilot said on his first pass the winds were too strong and he didn’t think he could make it. While waiting and hoping the helo would land I began t o feel very warm and realized it was because the wind had completely stopped. When the winds died, the pilot decided to land. The best moment of the day for me.
Surgery: There were three brakes total. A complete Tibia spiral fracture near the ankle, a complete Fibula spiral fracture bellow my knee and also ankle fracturing.
After arriving home, I really didn’t want to have surgery, but the docs prevailed. After discussing the options, surgery was set for Oct. 10th. The major concern was the break in the Tibia, they don’t heal well. The procedure was a Tibia Rod or Tibia Nail.
An incision was made at my knee at the top of the Tibia. The doc drilled down the center of my Tibia with a drill bit all the way to the bottom of the bone by the ankle. He then used a larger drill bit, and then a larger one still to make room for the rod to be hammered (yes hammered) down the center of the bone. Two screws were placed at the top of the Tibia: through the bone, through the nail, and then through the other side of the bone to hold it in place. Two more screws were placed near the ankle on the other side of the brake in the same manner. The idea is the rod and screws hold both pieces of the bone together, stabilizing it and allowing it to heal better.
Post surgery hurt more than the day I broke it, much more! The anesthesiologist said the three most painful surgeries to have are open heart, shoulder, and this one. Lucky me!
Another blessing: the doc was concerned about the fractures in my ankle because the trauma of the surgery could cause them to shatter. He had a “plate” standing by in case that happened. It would have meant a very large incision and more metal in my body. Thankfully that didn’t happen.
Recovery: The doc still won’t let me return to work on light duty yet or put any weight on my leg. Maybe two more weeks, I hope.
There is progress though; I am now in a boot that puts my foot back at a 90 degree angle to stretch my tendons etc back. Apparently they shrink when you don’t use them. It doesn’t feel good, but it gets me closer to walking again.
The last month has consisted of sleeping, watching TV, and playing PS2, all from the comfort (or discomfort) of my bed. Thanks to the friends and family who come to see me. The visits help keep in touch with humanity.
My mom did take me to the mall in my new ride, a wheel chair, to buy a pair of shoes. Of course I can only wear one, but it is one I can wear comfortably with the boot and for crutching around.
You guys are the best! If you’ve ever been helpless and at the mercy of others who come through for you, you know how much I appreciate your help. If not, I hope you’re never there. If you are, I hope you get the quality of help that was given to me so kindly. It was very humbling. Thanks for going to work everyday!
Well, the doc said it will be at least 8 more weeks before I can put any weight on my leg. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but to make sure everything heals as it should, I'll take things as they come.
So if anyone has suggestions for how to pass the time while at the house send em my way.
It's been several years and it I have not looked at this blog in some time. After reading it I am so grateful for how much my leg has improved. It really did take years but I am now running again and using it normally and am as close to %100 as I could hope to be.
There were a lot of people who helped along the way and many blessings to bring me to the point where this is mostly a memory now.
I was able to return to the spot where it all happened and even help a few other people who were having a difficult time on the hike. Talk about therapy! It was a great day.
9 comments:
Hey there, this is from the injured girl. Thanks to DA for setting all of this up.
WOW, things can change quickly. The pains and frustrations of this situation have provided many opportunities for blessing, and the Lord has made use of every opportunity.
Everyone who needed to be there to get me out was there. Two very experienced fire captains there to splint my leg, give care, and provide needed leadership. There were plenty of able bodied men to go back to the village for supplies and carry me along the path.
The biggest blessing for me that day was the helicopter landing. I was so relieved when it began landing. I was told, “Helicopters won’t land down here; it is too dangerous.” The thought of being carried out at Moody Falls was too much for me. However, close canyon walls provide dangerous conditions and the wind gusts treacherous. It didn’t help that the winds were strong, and had been for days, increasing the danger. I asked my friends to pray, and they already were, that the winds would calm enough for the helo to land.
The pilot said on his first pass the winds were too strong and he didn’t think he could make it. While waiting and hoping the helo would land I began t o feel very warm and realized it was because the wind had completely stopped. When the winds died, the pilot decided to land. The best moment of the day for me.
Surgery:
There were three brakes total. A complete Tibia spiral fracture near the ankle, a complete Fibula spiral fracture bellow my knee and also ankle fracturing.
After arriving home, I really didn’t want to have surgery, but the docs prevailed. After discussing the options, surgery was set for Oct. 10th. The major concern was the break in the Tibia, they don’t heal well. The procedure was a Tibia Rod or Tibia Nail.
An incision was made at my knee at the top of the Tibia. The doc drilled down the center of my Tibia with a drill bit all the way to the bottom of the bone by the ankle. He then used a larger drill bit, and then a larger one still to make room for the rod to be hammered (yes hammered) down the center of the bone. Two screws were placed at the top of the Tibia: through the bone, through the nail, and then through the other side of the bone to hold it in place. Two more screws were placed near the ankle on the other side of the brake in the same manner. The idea is the rod and screws hold both pieces of the bone together, stabilizing it and allowing it to heal better.
Post surgery hurt more than the day I broke it, much more! The anesthesiologist said the three most painful surgeries to have are open heart, shoulder, and this one. Lucky me!
Another blessing: the doc was concerned about the fractures in my ankle because the trauma of the surgery could cause them to shatter. He had a “plate” standing by in case that happened. It would have meant a very large incision and more metal in my body. Thankfully that didn’t happen.
Recovery:
The doc still won’t let me return to work on light duty yet or put any weight on my leg. Maybe two more weeks, I hope.
There is progress though; I am now in a boot that puts my foot back at a 90 degree angle to stretch my tendons etc back. Apparently they shrink when you don’t use them. It doesn’t feel good, but it gets me closer to walking again.
The last month has consisted of sleeping, watching TV, and playing PS2, all from the comfort (or discomfort) of my bed. Thanks to the friends and family who come to see me. The visits help keep in touch with humanity.
My mom did take me to the mall in my new ride, a wheel chair, to buy a pair of shoes. Of course I can only wear one, but it is one I can wear comfortably with the boot and for crutching around.
From Western Air Rescue. Get well soon Erika!! Feels good to help out some of our own every now and then. You were with a sharp group of guys.
Good Luck and God Bless.
You guys are the best! If you’ve ever been helpless and at the mercy of others who come through for you, you know how much I appreciate your help. If not, I hope you’re never there. If you are, I hope you get the quality of help that was given to me so kindly. It was very humbling. Thanks for going to work everyday!
Well, the doc said it will be at least 8 more weeks before I can put any weight on my leg. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but to make sure everything heals as it should, I'll take things as they come.
So if anyone has suggestions for how to pass the time while at the house send em my way.
It's been several years and it I have not looked at this blog in some time. After reading it I am so grateful for how much my leg has improved. It really did take years but I am now running again and using it normally and am as close to %100 as I could hope to be.
There were a lot of people who helped along the way and many blessings to bring me to the point where this is mostly a memory now.
I was able to return to the spot where it all happened and even help a few other people who were having a difficult time on the hike. Talk about therapy! It was a great day.
Post a Comment